Thursday, November 13, 2008

2nd annual scout widows appreciation night

I belong to an elite group of ladies. These women are the ones who send their husbands off 1-2 times a month on scout campouts, 1-3 times a week for youth activities, and 3+ leadership meetings a month without complaint (mostly). We support our husbands in their active and demanding calling as leaders in the Young Men's program. And once a year they conspire and treat us to an evening of appreciation!


We started at the beach with sparkling grape and pomegranete juice and a sunset... Then had a yummy dinner at a cute little fancy restaurant by the beach...Chris & Andy, Matt & Jen Emily & Rick, Jason & HeidiMike & Deannah, Chris & Andy (again)
Randall & Shelly, Suzanne & Troy
Matt & Kay, Greg & Renee
The men huddle to correlate the next stage of the evening While the ladies gather for a group picture
Next stop, Mt. Soledad for a breathtaking view of the lights,
including the temple! I got a little miffed when Jason and Matt decide to do a little geocaching right in the middle of our date, but it turned out to be a "funny" way to discover a cooler of dessert that Greg had stashed in the bushes.
Next stop, a bonfire at the bay where we are presented with our traditional silk-screened scout widows gift. Last year was t-shirts, this year was pillowcases to use when the guys are on a campout.
And we were treated to the scout leaders' parody-rendition of John Denver's Country Roads. I got it all on video, but Jason would get mad if I posted it- I wonder why...


Thanks for such a fun night! Can't wait to see what you come up with next year :)

5 comments:

Gallegos Family said...

iloveit! Your hair is lovely! How long have you had it that way? AND! What a great idea! Way to go boy scouts!

Beach Mommy said...

Well if that doesn't make letting them go a little easier! That's awesome. I would bet Jason headed it up, that's just how he's always been with you:) That's sounds like a blast. You guys seem to really love the ward you're in!

Jan said...

How fun!! And what a beautiful sunset. What great guys to plan such a night and I am certain Jason got the idea rollin. Memories you will fondly recall in years to come :)

Julie said...

You guys are saints. I ALWAYS complain about Rex's calling as YM pres.

Nancy in Utah said...

Wow! These guys really outdid themselves - if they keep this up and better themselves every year, pretty soon you'll have a Hawaiian vacation out of it! I didn't realize there were so many of you. Way to go guys!