I just read this on my cousin Marisa's blog, and it really resonated with me! Enjoy.Our Sacrament meeting yesterday focused on obedience and how it leads to freedom. As I listened to the speaker, I remembered a talk I heard a few years ago in which the speaker told of a woman who over time found the rules of the church more and more confining. She finally decided to have her name removed from the records of the church. When word came back that she was officially removed from the records, she replied, "Now I am free." The speaker made the point that it was easier for him to understand her statement from a mathematical perspective. For her, one plus one no longer had to equal two. It could be whatever she wanted it to be and that ability to change the answer can feel very freeing.
As I thought about this yesterday, I began to understand it even better. Imagine if I freed myself from mathematical rules and that others recognized my freedom. I could sign for the upper level math classes at ASU. Without studying I could take every test and receive 100% every time. I would never have red pens marks showing me where my mistakes are, because I can't make mistakes. With no need to study, I could spend my time doing what I wish to do. I would pass with flying colors and graduate with the highest of honors. NASA, hearing of the brilliant mathematician at ASU who received perfect scores on every homework and test assignment, hires me for top dollar to help on their next space shuttle project. Now, knowing that 1+1=5 or 6 or whatever I wish it to be... Who wants to be in the shuttle I helped design when it launches? Or, if I was in construction, who wants to work on the 34th floor of the 70-story office tower I built?
I sure felt good getting straight A's in college; I was full of warm fuzzies and happy thoughts thinking about how wonderful and perfect I was. I was free to come up with my own answers for the problems that I faced. However, in throwing away the mathematical rules, I also threw away my chances for success. No space shuttle I build will make it into space. No building I construct will stay standing. I have halted my progress in any field I might try and I am stuck with a degree that is now worthless. Heavenly Father sees what we can become and he knows exactly how to get us to that potential. With this in mind, he has created laws that will get us there if we obey them. When we throw out his laws, and create our own laws (becoming a law unto ourselves) we are free to do as we wish. But the laws we create for ourselves will not get us anywhere. Our progress will be halted and we will be left in the end with nothing in the middle of nowhere.


3 comments:
Wow. THAT is good. In fact, that is the best explanation I have ever heard on the subject of obedience.
That was very well put. Great food for thought - especially for those who feel trapped or restricted. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the perspective.
Post a Comment