Sunday, August 24, 2008

recent fun movie rental

I didn't know what to expect from Penelope, since I hadn't seen any previews (just a recommendation from a friend) and . . . I L-O-V-E-D this movie! It is kind of magical, very whimsical, but clever and grounded. Christina Ricci is the lead as Penelope, and James McAvoy (from Becoming Jane) is scruffy but likeable. It's co-produced by Reese Witherspoon who also plays a small and funky role in the film. Beyond it's fairy tale appearance, themes such as rejection, self-acceptance, discovery, independence, and love make it a social satire.

4 comments:

Gardner Family said...

I had rented this off of Pay Per View one night in hopes of a good chick flick. I wasn't expecting much because of the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. :) Way cute huh?

And I love the expressions and reactions of the Mom. The same mom from Home Alone...I love her....even though she is a big meanie in this movie.....

Unknown said...

I LOVED this movie too!!! my mom didn't seem to like it so much and I don't know why because me and my cousin Elise were so in love with this movie and James McAvoy that we watched the ending over and over and even found it on youtube to watch all we want

Beach Mommy said...

thanks for the review! I've wanted to see it.

Miss Megan said...

If I remember right, this movie didn't get very good reviews, but I'm glad you liked it. Sometimes I think you can never trust the reviewers...Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check this out now. P.S. I saw your mom last night, she is a SWEETHEART!