Monday, September 01, 2008

wanted: buns of steel

This morning Cheryl and I kicked our own butts by going running. It was just a 2.3 mile loop around the neighborhood, but I think it was the short steep hill that we sprinted up (or tried, in my case) that gave me the heart attack. What a workout! Naturally, right afterward I felt like laying down and dying, but now, an hour later with my heart pumping at a normal pace instead of like a hummingbird's, I've never felt more energized! My muscles are still sore from my 20 minute run around the apartment parking lot on Saturday, but it actually feels good to feel my muscles in there. So my new goal is exercising three times a week (which I've been doing for a few weeks consistently now- taking Emily for a 40 min walk and then finishing up at the park for her to get some running around playtime), and having at least one of those times be a run. I'm thinking Tuesday and Thursday mornings I'll walk with Emily, and Saturday mornings I'll go for a run when Jason or Jon can watch Emily for me. It made all the difference to have someone to run with! Not only did it keep my speed up, but we had fun joking around and talking (between gasps of air).
The other half of my struggle for getting in shape is that I'm tracking my daily eating and reducing my portion sizes. I've been somewhat consistent with this for the last few weeks; the biggest benefit is that it makes me aware of what exactly I'm eating and how often. It turns out that I'm a big snacker when I'm at home and at grandma's, and my comfort food is a big bowl of cereal. I think I need to get some smaller bowls. At least my cereal of choice is Multi-Grain Cheerios (oh-so-good!) Last week we got pears and peaches and black grapes from Costco, and they have been heavenly! One large juicy peach can sure fill you up. For a treat I also got Healthy Choice fudge bars, but they are kind of gritty, so I'll be switching back to the Albertson's low-fat kind.
Anyway, there's my latest vent. Comment if you have any advice on nutrition or exercise!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come work out with me!!!!!

Gardner Family said...

I am by no means an expert on nutrition and exercise. I started the healthy blog more as accountability for myself and also if anyone wanted to join me in becoming healthier. And now that I am prego it is quite hard to exercise hard core. SO when I pop out teh papooshka I will be joining you on this endeavor. For now I am moral support! I am so proud of you! Just getting out there and doing a regular exercise routine is the best thing you can do. At least that is what I have learned for myself. Then the desire for junk food starts to widdle away....it's just a perfect snowball effect when you exercise! Good luck!!! PS I recently bought some foods that naturally do good things for you. I'll send you the link!

Julie said...

I used to hate running till it became the only form of exercise I COULD do (i.e. it is free) and it is a WONDERFUL relief from kids -- The $200 I spent on my double jogging stroller was well worth it. Even with the kids with me, it's almost like they are not even there since they love going for stroller rides and are content with their crackers and water while I listen to the iPod to keep me pumped. (I keep trying to listen to conference talks while I run, but it just doesn't have the same affect as really fast music.)

My ideal exercise would be swing dancing or tennis, but I'd have to have a partner (and a babysitter). Next preference would be some sort of high-impact CLASS like Tae-Bo or hip pop or latin dance. But since that also requires money and babysitting, I defer to running or a video I like. The secret to exercise is to find something you really like doing. So if you hate running, it's going to be hard to stick with it. (But when you can't spend the money for babysitting or a class or equipment, it becomes harder to find something you like. Bike riding was fun when it was just one little one to tote on the back seat too, but once s/he gets too big or you have more kids, that doesn't work either.)

Food: well, I still can't pitch my sweet tooth, unfortunately. When I was trying to lose 10 pounds after my last baby, it was winter so I couldn't take my baby out in 20 degree weather, but I did Tae-bo in front of the TV and I had a food journal and found it is really hard to keep those calories down! Even smoothies have lots of calories. But the real trick: keep chocolate out of the house. For me, THAT is the secret to dieting.

Beth said...

I had a lot of success with Weight Watchers, even if you just go to the first meeting and get the books, they give you some great ideas for eating the right things. And it helps to keep track of everything. When I was going regularly I found a lot of great snacks that I could eat that were practically fat free. One of my favorite snacks was cucumber slices with fat free italian dressing or with mild salsa, they were both fat free and a satisfying snack :-)

denos5 said...

I don't have much advice for you except that cutting down on portions is a great thing to do. Greg and I are trying the same kinds of things. Great job and keep up the hard work!!

Beach Mommy said...

I want buns of steel...really I do...
I was great at doing the gym last year and it's sad when we drive to the library (in the same parking lot) and my kids say to me, "mom, can we go to the gym again?" Hopefully in 2 weeks or so I'll be motivated to jump back in to the game. Thanks for reminding me that I need to do this! After baby number 3 especially!! Things are just hanging how they shouldn't be hanging:)
As for food...if I don't buy it, I don't eat it. And if I don't have cash in my wallet, I'm less likely to pick up a smoothie or treat somewhere because I don't really want to use a card for a $3 purchase.
One easy meal I'll give you is this:
1 chicken breast, bite size pieces
1 can Blk Beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 onion, optional/diced
1/4 C K.C. Masterpiece BBQ Sauce, give or take depending on how saucy you like it.

Throw it all in the pan, then into a tortilla and if you leave off sour cream and cheese it's very low fat, quick and high in protein. Very good too!

Love you, good luck and thanks for the inspiration!!

Autumn said...

You go girl! I'm always struggling in this department and I'm always up for walking around the lake or around the neighborhood with you if you want to join me. :)