Wednesday, December 10, 2008

high school football games- what is it about them?

It doesn't make sense that I love going to high school football games. Not that I go all that often or follow the stats. I barely understand the game, for heaven's sake. (Thank goodness for Jason and his patient explanations!) I enjoy a passing game much more than a running game, because there's more action and it's easier to see what's happening- even I can understand catch=good, drop=bad, unless, of course, it's an interception. Which I happen to like, because it makes the game more exciting. The fact that the players aren't professionals grants them my sympathies, which is kind of an interesting
I think the reason high school games in particular appeal to me is the ambiance. The cold night air, the bright lights, the reality of it, the people-watching, the cheap concessions, the jumping up and cheering (although it's embarassing when I accidentally cheer for the wrong side...) and Jason explaining the game to me- I secretly like it.
This game was a little more difficult to enjoy because I didn't personally know any of the players, so I didn't have a vested interest in a particular team... and we brought Emily. Enough said? (Well, maybe not- people still insist that they've never heard her cry. I just laugh, because that is an experience they would not forget). She did not appreciate that our attention was focused not on her, and felt the need to let everyone know it. So for the common good we vacated the good seats and sat by the goalpost. (Luckily that team was doing well so it wasn't so bad). Once she discovered the rails she was entertained, long enough to snap a good picture of her and daddy. Then it was climbing through the rails. Then jumping off the rails. Then just letting go and falling backwards onto my lap. So she honed her monkey-bar skills which will probably result in a broken limb in a few years, but hey- whatever makes her happy, right? She also thought it was great fun to walk down the bleachers to the family at the other end and just stare at them. Then run back. Over and over again. So my concentration was split between the game and Miss Rambunctious, but it was still a fun night out!

4 comments:

Aim said...

it IS kind of a weird thing that few things could entertain me like a hot cup of coco and a high school football game in the cold!

Anonymous said...

She's so cute!! I miss the high school games. Our current round of foster boys are junior high. the game is a little easier to follow.... the one with the ball is running while his team mates stand and watch. can't waite for next year and back to high school, hot dogs and nachos!

denos5 said...

Cutie pie!! We CANNONT wait to see you guys. We are all bursting at the seams!!

Beach Mommy said...

I love football games too. And I feel you on the 'toddler at a game' thing! You always manage fun family time. Happy New Year!