Saturday, September 05, 2009

road trip with melanie

Four days at Mom's wasn't long enough for me on the way home from Nebraska, so Emily and I hitched a ride with Melanie and her boys to spend another week in Utah!
If I ever get a pet that's not a plant, I'll name it Yermo. The first order of business as far as the boys were concerned was to go to Kangaroo Jump, an inflatable jumpie paradise. Emily was freaked out at first, but warmed up to it once she discovered the slide on the Shamu jumpie...


Tyler was cracking us up by leaping off the dinosaur and faceplanting against the side... over and over again!
I love Trader Joe's organic "cheetos" because it's like a treat with only half the guilt.
The perfect late-night snack- frosting on graham crackers!
The pool at the local rec center was totally decked out like a mini waterslide park. Derek and I went down over and over and over again!
Emily had a blast in the shallow pool, especially with the area that shot water out of the ground.
The kids were constantly jumping on the trampoline and coming up with hilarious tricks.
We joined Mom and Kristin's nightly Parcheesi ritual. Four players totally changes the game strategy. Ruthless. We had too much fun... someone (who shall remain nameless) "cut the cheese" while we were waiting for the camera timer to go off, and this is what we ended up with...
Melanie, Kristin, Heidi, Mom. Oh Cheryl, where are you??
I had a girls' day out with my friend Megan who took me to Gardner Village. We had lunch at Gardner Mills which was restored from the original mill, and one of Megan's ancestors was featured at a booth in the restaurant. I almost didn't finish my delicious chicken pot pie because we were having too much fun chatting and confessing our guilty pleasures :)
The Village is quaint and beautiful, with several shops that we perused.
I stocked up on Christmas ornaments, fell in love with the quilt and fabric shop, tasted the Heath bar fudge, and we laughed raucously in the Just For Girls shop over Anne Taintor's books and this *hilarious* book, title notwithstanding :)
Three years old and Tyler has his first auto collision under his belt! Well, really, who hasn't crashed into Kristin's poor car?
Emily was a natural on the trampoline, although I had a heart attack every time she bounced close to the edge.
The view from Mom's driveway. Sigh.
The kids did lots of exploring at the Children's Discovery Museum in Salt Lake. The favorite by far was the kid-sized grocery store, complete with checkout!
I love her concentrating look.
The kids brought bathing suits to run through the fountain, but were intimidated by how high it shot the water!
Grandma finally convinced Derek to run the gauntlet with her! I love this picture.
Emily was in dire need of a nap, so she just watched the fun and fell asleep on the way home.
While Melanie and the boys were off at a baptism and birthday party, Mom and I experienced the incredible food of Zuppa's (top of my Utah must-do list!) and hit some more DI thrift stores to add to my hoard of used books.
Jenn and Chad brought us to the yard where they keep their horses and we got to feed them some carrots and hay, then went for a ride!
They were *very* friendly

Emily loved feeding and petting them.

I even tried my hand at trotting, but was bouncing all over the place and ended up giggling so much I almost fell off.
Jenn taking the lead while I rode Chad's horse.



We had a great time visiting Grandma's house, and I'm proud of the kids for doing so great on the long road trip!

2 comments:

Aim said...

awww! what fun fun fun! You guys do the greatest things together! i LOVE gardner village by the way!

Aim said...

They are eliminating your job!!!?? no way! no...way...! Thats incredible. I remember when you posted things about your awards, we were all totally impressed, as we usually are with the things you do.

All i have to say is that poor poor woman taking over....thats gonna be like a toddler trying to fill a mens size 13 shoe.

Dear principle at Heidi's school,
I sigh and shake my head disappointedly at you.